Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

On Reboots

I've been reading the issue of Game Informer with Battlefield 3 on the cover, and noticed an article where they talk about the reboot trend. It interested me, and I have a couple of thoughts about it.

My thing is, there's a right way and a wrong way to do a reboot. Looking at the three games mentioned in the article- the new Devil May Cry, Tomb Raider and Twisted Metal games- should make that obvious.

I've never played a Devil May Cry game, but I still looked at the new one with some interest. At the end of my curiosity, I pretty much agreed with the part of the fandom that is complaining about Dante's new look. From what I've seen of the previous games, the character design just screams over-the-top, and it really doesn't take itself too seriously. I'm not convinced that the new DMC will go in that direction.

Long story short, the DMC reboot didn't pique my interest as a non-fan.

The new Tomb Raider game, though, does pique my interest as a non-fan. I've never played a Tomb Raider game, either, and yet the new direction Eidos is going in has me intrigued, with its focus on exploration. It looks cool, realistic, and totally awesome.

The new Twisted Metal is also something I'm interested. I've played a few Twisted Metal games, and that reboot also looks pretty cool. It's going to be chaos online, and I can't wait to check it out and see what's new and what's changed with the franchises' PS3 debut.

Of course, there's also the new Mortal Kombat game. It's looking like the fighting game of 2011, and with a demo out now for PlayStation Plus subscribers (everyone else gets it next week), I can check it out now and see if it's worth the hype.

So, with the reboot trend, what do you think? I want to know if there's a reboot on your radar, or if there's another example worth talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment