Pages

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Warning: System Warrior Rant Incoming

Picking up this blog thing again, I may start doing weekly reviews of tables on The Pinball Arcade and/or Pinball FX 2 if anyone's interested. 

Anyways, I want to vent a little bit on the whole Xbox One/PS4  system wars thing going on. To the guy on twitter going by the alias ManaByte, this is for you. 

I just seem annoyed by a couple of themes from PS4 fanboys. The big one is resolution, and honestly, I don't see the big deal. Yes, 1080p is nice, but you know what? It's early. Developers are still getting the hang of the new hardware. If this is still an issue a year from now, then it may be a concern, but for the love of all that is holy, it's still early in the game, so to speak. I remember ManaByte mocking the Xbox One over the newly announced Alien Isolation game, but Creative Assembly confirmed that the Xbox One version runs at 1080p. It's going to improve over time. And frankly, I prioritize higher frame rate over a higher resolution, but that's another story. 

And the sales? Again, it's early. The consoles launched in November. They have been on the market for a little over a month and a half. Declaring the PS4 the winner because of a 900,000 console sales lead during that time is stupid. Sony will probably get more sales once Japan gets it and constraints are dealth with, but Microsoft will get more sales once they rollout sales to mainland Europe and Asia. Let's see the sales for all of 2014, then we can draw some conclusions. 

I guess I wouldn't be so annoyed if there were some more games that interested me, but I don't see much. Killzone and Knack don't set my hearts on fire. MLB 14 is the only baseball game coming out this year, but I can get that on my PS3. DriveClub is going to live or die by the online community, and I fear that Sony isn't marketing it enough and is sending it out to die. Infamous has what looks like the most unlikeable protagonist in a game this year. Watch Dogs isn't exclusive, most of the indie games Sony is touting can probably be found on Steam, and so on. 

That's just my opinion. I could be wrong. 

And you know what? That's okay. I won't judge anyone if they buy a PS4 over an Xbox One. I just wish that other people would do the same. But asking for civility on the Internet is asking for peace in the Middle East, it's not going to happen. 

Maybe the Xbox One's price will go down. Maybe the PS4 has a breakthrough hit that I need to play. But they both just launched. Can't we have some level headed conversations?

No comments:

Post a Comment